College of Commissioner Science
Louisiana State College of Commissioner Science
January 19-21, 2018
New Iberia Senior High, 1301 E. Admiral Doyle Blvd., New Iberia, LA 70560
The College of Commissioner Science is a day of training for commissioners. This training provides advanced classes that enhance the Commissioner Basic Training that can be taken online through www.my.scouting.org (Commissioner Training) or in-person. Prerequisite for starting the Bachelor’s Degree track is completion of Basic Training.
The objectives are to help commissioners expand their skills and unit service philosophy. The goal of this experience is to promote the increased effectiveness of the individual commissioner. It also allows Scouters to network and meet other Scouters, not just from their own Council, but from throughout the state and outside its borders.
The ongoing training opportunity will benefit new commissioners and experienced commissioners. You do not have to be a registered commissioner to attend. Any adult leader that is interested in the numerous resources available in the Scouting movement is also invited to attend.
Classes will happen from 8am-5pm on Saturday, January 20th. Lunch is provided and the cost is $25 per person. Registration between January 15-18 will be $30 and registration at the door is $40.
There will be a meet-and-greet on Friday evening (final coordination is still being made). We will also provide a program opportunity on Saturday for those interested and finally a presentation on Swamp Base will occur on Sunday, January 21 at the Knight Scout Service Center, 2266 S. College Ext, Lafayette, LA followed by a Swamp Tour on the Atchafalaya Swamp.
Special rates have been provided with the following hotels:
Home 2 Suites
1909 Kaliste Saloom Rd.
Lafayette, LA 70508
$99 + tax per night for Studio and 2 Queen Studio Suite and $119 + tax for 1 King Studio Suite, rooms are blocked off until December 29th, 2017, after that date rates will remain based on room availability. Please let them know you are with the Boy Scouts of America for this rate.
Hampton Inn & Suites
400 Spanish Town Blvd
New Iberia, LA 70560
$75 + tax per night, rooms are blocked off until December 19th, 2017, after that date rates will remain based on room availability. Please let them know you are with the Boy Scouts of America for this rate.
Degrees and Learning Opportunities
- Basic Commissioner Training – This is a prerequisite to complete the degree program and opportunity to earn the Doctorate of Commissioner Science Knot. Please go to the link provided above to complete this training online. The Evangeline Area Council is looking to host one more in-person training opportunity before this course.
- Bachelor of Commissioner Science is an entry-level program for commissioners who have completed Basic Commissioner Training.
- Master of Commissioner Science focuses on advanced problem solving and administrative skill instruction.
- Doctorate of Commissioner Science is an up to two-year program that challenges candidates to identify, develop, and present a project or service concept to a panel of their peers.
- Continuing Education (CED) is an opportunity to expand knowledge and increase effectiveness of unit service.
Guest Speaker – Charles Dahlquist, National Commissioner
Charles Dahlquist has been involved in Scouting most of his life and is a recipient of the Silver Buffalo Award, the highest honor the BSA can bestow on an adult for service to youth. In August 2009, Dahlquist was named president-elect of the Great Salt Lake Council of the BSA. In May 2016, Dahlquist was named the 10th National Commissioner for the Boy Scouts of America.
Evangeline Area Council Commissioner – Diogo Tavares, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelors of Commissioner Science – John Richard, email@example.com
Doctorate of Commissioner Science – Dennis Burke, firstname.lastname@example.org